MISSION: We of the Tucson Interfaith HIV/AIDS Network offer our hearts and hands to provide compassionate and non-judgmental service to those affected by HIV/AIDS. Through education and support we, as individuals and faith communities, work to build bridges, reduce stigma and sustain hope.
CODE OF CONDUCT while volunteering with TIHAN:
1. I will treat all people with dignity, respect, and courtesy. I will endeavor to be open to all people, especially those who may differ from me. Differences may include: HIV status, age, race, size, faith, gender expression, sexual orientation, citizenship status, religion, national origin, veteran status, marital status, physical or mental disability or perceived disability, and economic and cultural background. I will talk with my staff supervisor if I have questions, concerns, or difficulties with diversity issues.
2. I will not proselytize, nor participate in evangelical actions that promote any religion or religious belief while acting in a volunteer capacity for TIHAN. I understand that although TIHAN works with faith communities, not everyone associated with TIHAN is a member of a faith community, nor are they necessarily a person of faith. I am aware that methods of proselytizing may include but are not limited to: unsolicited offers to pray for someone or take them to my faith community, or providing religious materials or requesting them on someone else’s behalf. If I am asked, however, I may respond to these requests. I will also be aware that statements such as “It’s God’s will,” “You will get to see the pearly gates,” “This is your test,” “God wouldn’t give you more than you can handle,” etc. could be interpreted as proselytizing, so I will refrain from the use of these or any such inappropriate comments.
3. I will maintain strict confidentiality for all sensitive information I encounter at TIHAN. This includes names, addresses, phone numbers, personal information, HIV status, gender identity and sexual orientation. I will not engage in public conversations about visitors or callers while volunteering with TIHAN. I will not share information about callers, CarePartners, or volunteers with people outside TIHAN. I understand that some callers and visitors may not choose to share their HIV status, sexual orientation, or gender expression with others.
4. I will always perform my volunteer job to the best of my ability, and in accordance with the job description for my position.
5. I understand that I may not proactively solicit business (for my personal job or business) from CarePartners, volunteers, or others at TIHAN, but if I am asked specific questions I may offer myself as a resource.
I certify that I have read, understand, and agree to abide by TIHAN’s Code of Conduct. I understand that as a volunteer of TIHAN, if I breach these policies I may be subject to disciplinary action which can include, however is not limited to, the immediate termination of my relationship with the Tucson Interfaith HIV/AIDS Network.